Mike's Musings

I'll be posting my musings from time to time on various subjects some just because I feel like it, others because I'm mad, still others because I want to make the world a better place. Now that the "d" is done, it's time to move on to other things. I'm reminding myself that life is just too short to focus on just one thing.

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tips for Bad Service?

Well, after having been at a few restaurants in my day, I've run across a few bad waiters/waitresses. My philosophy has and always will be that you get a tip based on how good your service was from the moment I sat down until the moment I pay the check and leave. I have been known to tip 25% or even more for great service, and I've been known to give an "insult tip" for really bad service (that's where you leave the server a tip so small, it's an insult! In my case, it'll usually be a "round-up" to the next quarter, i.e if the total was 12.35, I give .15 and spend a total of $12.50)

Now some people think that's not fair. Well, you know what? If you're employed in a service industry, leave the sob stories, problems with the boss, etc. in the BACK ROOM! Do not bring them out in the open. I could care less about your ex-boy/girlfriend who dumped you for a newer model (I actually had this happen to me, and it almost took 2 hours to get food, much less a check!), or the problems with your car. Now I will admit, the exception to this rule is if I'm a regular customer and I know the waiter/waitress and actually asked for the life story. Keep your chin up, your smile plastered on if you must, but unless I ask for your sob story, don't tell it to me, o.k. All I want is to enjoy my meal and/or spend some quality time with friends or family.

Anyway, if you feel differently, let me know why.

--
Note:The original opinions shown on this blog are mine unless quoted from someone else via "" marks and () showing source. Remember, these are only opinions and if you really want to convince me otherwise, post your own response. "Go ahead, make my day!"
--
A wise man once told me "Listen to the opinions of the extremes and you'll discover that the truth is somewhere in the middle."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home