Mike's Musings

I'll be posting my musings from time to time on various subjects some just because I feel like it, others because I'm mad, still others because I want to make the world a better place. Now that the "d" is done, it's time to move on to other things. I'm reminding myself that life is just too short to focus on just one thing.

Friday, April 01, 2005

Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness

Life, Liberty & the Pursuit of Happiness
Can someone please tell me what happened to these beliefs of the American Way? In the past 4 years, I've seen more done in an attempt to take away these truths than in the previous 30 of my life. I'll bet that almost everyone can think of some example of this. Anyway, what brought me to this is the fact that the extremes (both liberal and conservative, btw) have gotten way too vocal. This is causing the ones of us who are moderates to choose sides on topics we would prefer to leave alone to individuals. I'm a Christian, and I believe in what the Bible says, but when it comes to intruding on the personal lives of individuals and married couples, that's taking things too far! Why you ask? Because if you actually READ the Bible you understand that this whole conflict between good and evil is about making choices and not forcing them on others! Life is about convincing and convicting people to do the right thing, not forcing them to do it. God has never wanted people to come to Him by force, but by love. If you don't believe me, then you really need to start studying your Bibles right now!

Case in point this week was Ms. Schiavo. Now, I am not going to comment on whether she should have lived or died--there's been enough of that already and I hazard to guess even more to come. But, I will say this, barring a document that says otherwise (and it had better be fully legal, not some scrawling on a napkin), this should have only been a discussion between husband and wife. Now if the family wants to intrude and try to intervene, they'd better have really good reasons (legal separation leading to a divorce would count) because the Bible says that as a married couple they become "one flesh." That means no butting in otherwise in the matter of a husband and wife who are married before God and all those witnesses. That being said, I wish that both sides could have come to some arrangement that would have allowed Terri to live or die with some dignity. When the term "persistent vegetative state" comes into play, usually that has to be confirmed by more than one doctor. Also, it's been 15 years for Terri to come up with some evidence that she could become better. I pray that both families finally make their peace with God and each other.

I'm going to let it be known here, that if I end up in any situation where I am unable to speak for myself medically, my wife knows that there is a point where I don't want the risk to be taken on me and to let me go and end my suffering. Now, she can choose to violate that and take the risk, but that's her decision as MY WIFE! My parents can yell and scream all they want, but she has been informed of my wishes and unless she decides that she no longer wants to be my wife, she knows what I would like to have happen to me. I fully believe, that the right to life is just as important as the right to die with dignity.

Pro-life,/pro-choice. Pro-gun/gun control. Extreme Right/Extreme Left. etc./etc. There has to be a place that balances it for everyone. It's always been about balance with me and always will be.

--
Note:The original opinions shown on this blog are mine unless quoted from someone else via "" marks and () showing source. Remember, these are only opinions and if you really want to convince me otherwise, post your own response. "Go ahead, make my day!"
--
A wise man once told me "Listen to the opinions of the extremes and you'll discover that the truth is somewhere in the middle."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home