Mike's Musings

I'll be posting my musings from time to time on various subjects some just because I feel like it, others because I'm mad, still others because I want to make the world a better place. Now that the "d" is done, it's time to move on to other things. I'm reminding myself that life is just too short to focus on just one thing.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

I'm tired of hearing about ANWR, but...

A buddy of mine and I were talking about the high cost of gasoline when he made the comment that "W has done nothing but pillage the country and sell it to the special interests". He was specifically talking ANWR and the rest of the US energy policy which basically encourages exploration and development, but does virtually nothing to curb pollution or encourage conservation.

Now, drill in Alaska, or don't. I could care less. The problem is that even if "there's oil in them thar hills" how long will it take to get to it? I've heard estimates of 5-10 years. Does that do anything for us today? Absolutely not! And even when the pumps start flowing, it's said that it will only provide 1% of the total US energy need. ONE PERCENT!!!

I could understand it if it were 5-10%, but we're going to do this for 1%???

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like a bad idea to me. If it's not let me know why.

--
Note:The original opinions shown on this blog are mine unless quoted from someone else via "" marks and () showing source. Remember, these are only opinions and if you really want to convince me otherwise, post your own response. "Go ahead, make my day!"
--
A wise man once told me "Listen to the opinions of the extremes and you'll discover that the truth is somewhere in the middle."

4 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM, April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're right about ANWR. And the energy bill is a gift to the oil companies. Here they have a situation where their product is needed by the vast majority of Americans. They have been and will forever make exorbitant profits. And yet the Reps think we must give them tax breaks so they will build more refineries. It's a wonder they don't make us buy shoes for their kids and jewels for their wives.

     
  • At 7:22 AM, April 22, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    And how about "immigrant chauffeurs"? Apparently the shareholders (of which I probably am due to my 401k's mutual funds), think that they need to get maximum dollar for their investment. But that shouldn't mean that the Gov't gives the farm away with the milk, right?

     
  • At 1:30 PM, April 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    100 ANWR's = our independence from the likes of Hugo Chavez. Gotta start somewhere, bud - you do want to heat your house and drive a car, don't you?

     
  • At 3:03 PM, April 29, 2005, Blogger Mike said…

    Yeah, but can't we develop other technology? Come on, we've known for generations now that Fossil Fuels are not UNLIMITED resources. If they were, the price of them wouldn't go up every time there's a spill/war/you name it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home